There are several reasons why people learn French, I came across an article on http://www.theworldspeaksfrench.org/reasons.html that listed some of these reasons below:
- It is one of the most commonly taught languages in schools in the UK and abroad.
- You can be understood in 55 countries across five continents and by over 200 million people.
- French is a melodious and romantic language with a relatively quick learning curve.
- Develop critical, creative thinking and problem solving skills. French also provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary, which improves performance in exams.
- Open the doors to art, music, fashion, food, architecture and literature.
- Discover a new appreciation for other cultures in countries that speak French like: France, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, Monaco and many African nations.
- Be more competitive in the national and international job market in disciplines like business, medicine, law, global/international distribution and luxury goods.
- French is the official working language of the UN, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the European Union, the International Red Cross and much more!